Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Hallmark's Day

This is the one holiday that could just slide on by or be erased from the calendar all together. I'm not single, I'm not cynical, but I'm also not a romantic and I'm not a fan of the color pink.

This was a holiday that I dreaded when younger. Maybe it was my budding sexuality, but the thought of giving valentine's to the girls in my class didn't interest me, and giving them to the boys scared the crap out of me. Thank God I grew up at the begining of the age of political corect-ness, and all of my grade school teachers always sent a full class roster home two weeks before asking that all children give cards to all of the others, or none at all.

These days its the holiday that creeps in and interupts my Christmas cheer. Who in the world is trying to stock up on those little candy message hearts on December 24th? And with the $1000 in christmas presents at home, and the upcoming deluge of birthdays (including my partner's), personal anniversary date and the feeling of NOT wanting to try and pick out that "special gift" one more time, I've thrown up my hands to the whole thing.

If you wish me a Happy Valentine's Day, I'll smile, I may say "Same to you" but then my ears are back on my iPod trying to get it out of my head. Don't send me a card, or money, or presents. You gave me more than enough just 6 weeks ago.

The only good this holiday does is that it provides chocolate and other caloric treats to those crazy New Year's Resolution people that have been clogging up my gym since Jan. 1. Tonight is the night that they finally break their diet with a 5 pound box of candy and decide tomorrow that the gym just isn't worth it.

There, someone send me a card in celebration of that.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]