Sunday, September 03, 2006

Gladly Lacking the "Oh Shit' Moment

Two weeks and three days have past since my transplant from DC to NYC, and I'm starting to let go of that nagging "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling. Or what a lot of people refer to as the "OH SHIT" moment. You know the moment; just after a major change in your life and you think to yourself "What have I done? How do I recover from this? I just made a HUGE mistake."

Nope, none of that. The last time I moved from the DC area I had that moment within three days, and from that point forward I fought and fought my way back to my hometown. And that fight took exactly a year to win.

Everything here in NYC, however, feels so natural and like I really made the right decision to see what I'm made of living out on my own. Yeah, there are the moments of "where the hell am I?" coming out of a subway station. But other than that I'm settled. All of the boxes are unpacked, things put away, and this apartment is now home.

My one piece of advice to anyone out there looking to uproot themselves: don't do it in a "violent" fashion. Quitting your job, breaking a lease, haphazardly packing boxes and throwing them into a Uhaul, signing a lease on the first place you see because you have a Uhaul full of stuff that just got a ticket for double parking. That is, in my opinion, how you set yourself up to fail - or to have at least one big, if not many "OH SHIT" moments. I've learned that if a change is truly meant to happen in life, all of the pieces will fall into place, which leaves saying good bye to friends and family the most difficult part of the whole experience.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]