Sunday, April 19, 2009

Another Reboot

Tired of reducing thoughts to a few simple, thought provoking lines on Facebook or 140 tweeting characters, I'm re-embracing my blog. 

I care about what's on my Facebook page status, and society tells me I have to care about posting ad nauseum on Twitter. I care less about what is posted on here, because I don't know how many people out there ever read my blog. I know past friends have, my ex-boyfriend has, an old fraternity brother has, and a few people who felt moved or amused enough to comment back (Thanks! I enjoy the comments.)

I never censored on here, and I don't plan on starting. At this point in my life, if I censored, I'd have nothing to say. Having nothing to say is like not existing. I promise to offend, amuse, stir the pot, call people out, ramble on, etc. 

I was trying to focus energy on writing a book or memoir about my twenties. Not from the "gay" angle, or the "drug" angle, but from the "one foot in front of the other" angle. I'm not defined as gay or recovering addict or male or white; I share those aspects with millions of other people. I am defined by the choices I've made and will continue to make. I chose to let getting high take priority over a lot of real and tangible things during the entire Bush Administration (I think a lot of you did too.) I chose to move to New York, I chose to socialize in a way that would not produce long lasting friendships and I chose to move back and start on a different way of living my life, that is closer and more true to who I am.

The book would have put the last Harry Potter novel to shame in length.

It was to be too self depricating, too self absorbed, too preachy and I didn't want to run the risk of Oprah or Starbucks choosing it as the book of the month.

A book has a begining, middle and end. I'm not finished yet.





Comments:
this is awesome matt! i'm glad that you're back home in dc and blogging again. you write very well and i enjoy reading your blog.

i have been keeping my blog entries on and off since 2002. it's definitely evolved over the years yet not really amount to anything in particular all at the same time. does it really matter? who knows? what i do know is that i've remained true to myself and that i write what moves me. i just don't really make a big deal about it nor do i really advertise it aside from making comments like this.

i like how you talk about change - both of yourself and of the people around you. i'm on year 2 of my self imposed 'time-out' from dc. i miss a lot of the good times with my friends but i certainly don't miss any of the drama associated with them. oh well -- we'll see what the future has in store, right?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]